was born on June 2, 1921 in Quakertown, Pennsylvania. There he attended
school in a one-room schoolhouse, which held all eight grades. He started
high school but enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1940 and got his High School
equivalency diploma while serving his country. He served in the Pacific;
saw combat in Guadalcanal, contracted malaria, and was sent to Auckland,
New Zealand for hospitalization for both malaria and shrapnel wounds. He
started collecting shells while in New Zealand, and after being transferred
to another hospital in New Caledonia, he began collecting quartz crystals.
He was sent back to the United States for further hospitalization. After
being discharged from the hospital in 1944, he married Lois Plummer, whom
he had met at a roller-skating rink in 1938 before the war.
. . . . . .
continued serving in the Corps as an instructor at the motor transport school
at the rank of First Sergeant. He also served in Korea after 1953. During
a Rifle & Pistol match he received a gold and several silver and bronze
medals for sharpshooting. He was asked to join the Marine's Rifle &
Pistol Team to compete in interservice competitions. He was also an instructor
for the team. In 1960 after twenty years and eleven days in the military,
Jerry retired from the service.
. . . . . . .
in San Diego County, he began selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door and then
selling funeral plots door-to-door. Then in 1962 he went to work for the
Camp Pendleton Fire Department. Jerry started lapidary in 1963 by taking
faceting lessons. He also owned several mining claims in the county, where
he mined tourmaline and aquamarine.
. . . . . .
and Lois traveled all over the western United States from Texas all the
way to Canada. During their travels, they collected tons of rocks and minerals
for his new avocation. In 1982 after twenty years and eleven days, Jerry
retired from the Fire Department and began to spend his time creating masterpieces
of jewelry in silver and gemstones. In 1995 Gerald Harr was inducted into
Rockhound & Lapidary Hall of Fame
in Murdo, South Dakota.